This is one of the most exciting domaines in all of the Côte de Beaune today!John Gilman - View from the Cellar
About Clos de la Chapelle
Domaine Clos de la Chapelle is a new name of a very old domaine, situated in the heart of the Burgundian village of Volnay. Originally founded by Victor Boillot in 1865 with his purchase of Volnay 1er Cru Clos de la Chapelle (monopole), the domaine added Volnay 1er Cru En Carelle and Pommard 1er Cru Les Chanlins très vieilles vignes over the course of the next half century. The reputation of the Clos de la Chapelle monopole dates back to the 19 th century, with Louis Pasteur himself writing regularly to Victor Boillot requesting bottles of this exceptional wine.
After nearly 150 years in the Boillot family, the domaine was purchased by Mark M. O’Connell, a life-long Burgundy lover, in cooperation with Domaine Champy, who farms the vineyards following organic and biodynamic practices. With the recent acquisition of 9 additional vineyards in the Côte de Beaune, the Domaine now comprises about 4 hectares of both red and white Burgundy, all designated 1er or Grand Cru. Together with Pierre Meurgey, the Managing Director, Winemaker Dimitri Bazas, and Vineyard Manager Francis Simon, the vision is to produce the best expression of terroir inherent in each tiny parcel. Total production for all vineyards combined is about 1600 cases in an average year.
The 2010 vintage, the first commercial release under the new name, received uniformly strong reviews, including 94 points from John Gilman for the Volnay 1er Clos de la Chapelle. Sarah Marsh MW and Allen Meadows (a/k/a “Burghound”) have written that the 2011’s are even better. With the recent publication of Volnay Clos de la Chapelle: The History of a Vineyard, the Domaine is quickly becoming established as one of the premier producers in Burgundy.
Get first offers of new releases and special items direct from Clos de la Chapelle.
2015 Vintage Fall Release – Oct 10 2017
2015 Vintage Large Formats – Aug 24, 2017
2015 Vintage Spring Release – May 5, 2017
2014 Vintage Fall Release – Nov 3, 2016
2014 Vintage Spring Release – Mar 22, 2016
2013 Vintage Fall Release – Oct 27, 2015
2013 Vintage Spring Release – May 21, 2015
2012 Vintage – Aug 18, 2014
2011 Vintage – Jul 16, 2013
Volnay, Burgundy, France
- Location: Burgundy, France
- Year Founded: 2011
- Owner: Mark O’Connell, Philippe Remoissenet and Pierre Meurgey
- Winemaker(s): Dimitri Bazas
- Release Schedule: Varies
- Cultivated Area: 4 hectares (10 acres)
- Topography: South-east facing mid-slope
- Soil Type: Limestone
- Notable Vineyards: Grand Cru: Corton Charlemagne, Corton Les Bressandes, Corton Le Rognet; 1er Cru: Volnay “Clos de la Chapelle,” Volnay “En Carelle,” Volnay “Taillepieds,” Beaune “Les Teurons,” Beaune “Champs Pimont,” Beanue “Les Reversees,” Pommard “Les Grands Epenots,” Pommard “Les Chanlins,” Pernand-Vergelesses “Sous Fretille”
- Annual Production: 18,000 bottles
- Varieties Cultivated: Pinot Noir and Chardonnay