As I have written many times in the past, Domaine du Pegau is well-known as one of the reference points for traditionally styled wines. I have been buying the Cuvee Reservees since 1979.Robert Parker
There is a secret in the knowledge transmitted over generationsLaurence Féraud
About Domaine du Pégau
Domaine du Pégau is a beloved icon of traditionalism in Châteauneuf du Pape, crafting wines that dually epitomize the Châteauneuf style of the Southern Rhône while being unmistakably Pégau. Long owned by the Féraud family, the estate is run by the charming Laurence, a Parker Wine Advocate Wine Personality of the Year who was exceptionally well-schooled by her father Paul. Despite receiving six 100-point scores in less than 10 years, Domaine du Pégau is a down to earth specimen of Southern France hospitality.
Pégau produces three high-end Châteauneuf-du-Pape cuvées: the traditional Cuvée Reservée, the special Cuvée Laurence, and the incredible Cuvée da Capo (made from the best grapes in only the best years). These wines are aged in large old oak foudres for at least 18 months in the case of the Reservée, and much longer for Laurence and Capo.
Robert Parker of The Wine Advocate summarizes the house style as follows: “This superb estate fashions an old style, massive, unbelievably rich, rustic Châteauneuf du Pape. If you want to taste what the old style Châteauneuf du Pape of the forties, fifties, and early sixties tasted like, buy a bottle of Domaine du Pégau. They are rich, rustic, sometimes massive Châteauneuf du Papes made with no concession to modern-day tastes.” Furthermore, he continues “I have long been a huge fan of this estate, and have put my money where my mouth is, having purchased all of Pégau’s vintages since 1979.” Heady praise indeed from the world’s leading wine critic.
Domaine du Pégau’s wine have developed a cult-like following among savvy consumers, who adore their expressive style, unique personality and still-affordable prices for the quality and experience they deliver.
Get first offers of new releases and special items direct from Domaine du Pégau.
Chateauneuf du Pape Blancs 2016 – Nov 20, 2017
Cuvee A Tempo 2014 Re-release – Mar 7, 2017
2014 Cuvee Reservee rouge – Nov 22, 2016
2015 Whites and Cuvee Laurence 2012 – Jun 23, 2016
2013 Cuvee Reservee rouge and more – Oct 22, 2015
Cuvee A Tempo 2014 and more – Jun 23, 2015
2008 Cuvee Laurence – Jan 26, 2015
2012 Cuvee Reservee Rouge – Sep 10, 2014
Pegau Trio – Sep 03, 2013
2010 & 2011 Vintage – Apr 2, 2013
Mixed Offer – Aug 01, 2012
Châteauneuf du Pape, Southern Rhône Valley, France
- Region: Châteauneuf du Pape, Southern Rhône Valley, France
- Year Founded: 1987
- Name Of Proprietor: Family Féraud
- Name Of Winemaker: Laurence and Paul Féraud
- Offer Schedule: Varies — wines are released as they are deemed “ready”
- Cultivated Area: 29 hectares (72 acres)
- Topography: 19 separate parcels, generally on slopes with east southeast exposure
- Soil Types: La Crau: sand – Escondudes: pebbles – Montpertuis: red clay with small pebbles
- Annual Production: 75,000 bottles
- Varieties Cultivated:Red: 80% Grenache, 8% Syrah, 4% Mourvèdre, 3% Cinsault, and 5% Counoise, Muscardin, Picpoul Noir, Terret Noir and Vaccarèse.White: 60% Clairette, 20% Grenache Blanc, 10% Bourboulenc and 10% Roussanne.