The Clos de Tart was founded in 1141 by the Tart Abbey Bernardine sisters, a branch of the nearby Cistercian congregation.
In 1791, the Clos de Tart was originally purchased by the Marey-Monge family. Later it was acquired by the Mommessin family, from the Mâconnais, who then became the sole owners of this estate.
The Clos de Tart is a single plot of land covering 7.53 hectares of vines located on the Morey-Saint-Denis terroir in the Côte de Nuits.
Since its creation, this Clos has never been parcelled out and it is presently the largest Grand Cru classified property with a single owner in all of Burgundy.
“There are no secrets or magic tricks. Low yields, late harvesting for greater ripeness, more intensity, maximum quality control and a philosophy of winemaking according to the strictest laws of purity are key to greatness in wines that don’t have to wait to be consumed.” – Sylvain Pitiot
Visit them on the web at http://www.clos-de-tart.com/en/
*** Note that, as of 1/9/12, the Clos de Tart Parton’s List is full. New signups will be taken on the Waiting List, whose members will move onto the Patron’s List as more slots (or more wine) are made available. ***
Name Of Proprietor:
Name Of Winemaker:
7.53 hectares monopole
East-south-east facing slopes